Old Parish Cemetery/Holy Rood Cemetery Files
Georgetown University Archives
Georgetown University Library Booth Family Center for Special Collections
Georgetown University Archives, Booth Family Center for Special Collections, Washington, D.C.
Contains files on the Old Parish Cemetery, a cemetery located on the Georgetown University campus from 1817 to 1953. The Holy Trinity death registers document burials in it, including the burials of slaves and members of Georgetown's free black community. Much of the material relates to the removal of bodies to Mount Olivet Cemetery in 1953, ahead of the construction of Reiss Science Building. A list of identifiable gravestones made in 1952 is included, as well as a chronological list of those buried in cemetery between 1817 and 1839 (with some later burials noted). Mention is made of the removal of body of Susan Decatur to Holy Rood. Also present are files on Holy Rood Cemetery located at 2126 Wisconsin Avenue, NW. These include copies of deeds purchasing portions of Holy Rood in the 1830s, 1840s, and 1850s and correspondence and business records relating to the operation of the cemetery. Also present are a list of "Annual Care Contributors to Holy Rood Cemetery" and a list of "Names who Paid Perpetual Care to Holy Rood Cemetery".
For more information about copyright for materials within DigitalGeorgetown, please consult https://www.library.georgetown.edu/copyright/digitalgeorgetown.
MetadataShow full item record
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Liljenquist Family Research Files on Georgetown University Alumni Who Fought in the Civil War Georgetown University Library Booth Family Center for Special Collections; Georgetown University Archives (Various)