Subseries 1.4: Correspondence, Subject, 1813-1981
This subseries consists of the correspondence subject files of the Provincial, primarily during the period of the Maryland-New York Province (established in 1879, and succeeded by the Maryland Province in 1943). As with other records of the Provincial, these materials address aspects of Jesuit formation, community rules, the direction of its educational institutions, the pastoral activities of the houses, relations with Archdiocesan authorities, and the financial affairs of the Province. Materials related to the Jesuit Houses of Southern Maryland document the segregation and subsequent integration of the region’s parishes, including the opening of St. Peter Claver Church in 1904 and the Cardinal Gibbons Institute in 1924 by the Ridge House to serve the African American Catholic community. Rectors and Prefects Commission files document the Province’s response to national educational reforms and the creation of educational standards for Jesuit preparatory schools and colleges in the early twentieth century. Other important subjects include the establishment of the Jesuit America magazine, capital investment at colleges and preparatory schools, the establishment of the Manresa retreat house in Severn, Maryland, the oversight of sodalities, and the administration of the Jesuit Seminary Fund.
This subseries is comprised of materials sent in the Province’s initial deposit in 1977, as well as addenda materials deposited at a later date. Materials are arranged by subject and chronologically.NOTE: Most materials dated 1900 and later have not been digitized. Materials dating 1900-1939 are available for research use at the Booth Family Center for Special Collections. All materials dated 1940 and later are restricted.