Series 02: Records of the Procurator
Series 2, the Records of the Procurator, includes financial and legal documents related to the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus, and covers the years 1633-1968. The Procurator - effectively the treasurer of the province - had oversight of finances, and the records in this series reveal the emergence of a tobacco-centered economy in the mid-Atlantic region in the seventeenth century, its diversification beginning in the late eighteenth century, and the decline of agriculture in Maryland after the Civil War. As such, this series documents the ownership and sale of enslaved people, the later reliance on sharecropping tenants, and the use of enslaved labor on Jesuit-owned plantations, including St. Inigoes (St. Mary’s County), Newtown (St. Mary’s County), St. Clement’s Manor (St. Mary’s County); St. Thomas Manor (Charles County), Bohemia (Cecil County), St. Joseph’s Church (Talbot County); and White Marsh (Prince George’s County).
Some folders in this series contain references to slavery, slaveholding, and enslaved individuals. Some folders in this series contain documents addressing the Province's 1838 sale of 272 enslaved individuals. Relevant folders are identified.
NOTE: Most materials dated 1900 and later have not been digitized. Materials dating 1900-1939 are available for research use at the Booth Family Center for Special Collections. All materials dated 1940 and later are restricted.