Gervase Hall at Georgetown University
Georgetown College (1789-1815)
Gervase Hall was completed in 1848 and served as the infirmary for the College. The building is named in honor of Brother Thomas Gervase who traveled to Maryland on the Ark and the Dove in 1634. In addition to the Infirmary, Gervase has also housed classrooms, a chapel, a tailor shop, and kitchen facilities. When Old South was razed in 1904, the porch from that building was moved to the south end of Gervase. Gervase is also home to the Key mantle which, up until 1912, had been a part of Key Mansion on M Street. The University purchased the mantle which was installed in the Community recreation room of Gervase in 1916.
All Rights Reserved by Georgetown University Library.