Cannon in front of Healy Hall at Georgetown University
The cannon pictured is one of two given to Georgetown University in 1888 and placed in front of Healy Hall in 1898. These cannons came to the U.S. on the two ships, the Ark and the Dove, which brought the original settlers, including three Jesuits, to Maryland in 1634. According to Navy Department experts, they are Spanish-made, shot a nine pound cannon ball, and may have been salvaged from the Spanish Armada which was defeated on England's shores in 1588. During the 1928 presidential campaign of Alfred E. Smith in which anti-Catholic prejudice played a major part, a notoriously anti-Catholic journal made reference to the cannons, when it published a story accusing the Jesuits of Georgetown of having guns trained on the nation's capital.Repository: Booth Family Center for Special Collections. For more information about this collection please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
All Rights Reserved by Georgetown University Library.
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Seismological station at Maguire Hall, Georgetown University. Equipment shown (from front to back): Wiechert seismograph; Mainka seismograph; Bosch Omori seismographs Anonymous (Georgetown University, 1911)
The Most Rev. Philip M. Hannan, Auxiliary Bishop of Washington, assisted by University President Edward B. Bunn, S.J., blesses the carillon console in Healy Hall at Georgetown University Georgetown University Office of Public Relations (1956-10)