Main entrance to the White-Gravenor Building at Georgetown University
Brosnan, John, S.J.
The White-Gravenor Building was completed in 1933 as a Science-Recitation hall. It is named for two of the Jesuits who arrived in Maryland in 1634 on the Ark and the Dove, Andrew White (1579-1656) and John Altham alias Gravenor (1589-1640.) The Building has been described as a "sermon in stone" because of the Catholic and Jesuit symbolism of its external architectural details. The three story oriel over the main entrance includes carved symbols representing academic subjects. The symbol for each subject is accompanied by the name of a Jesuit educator prominent in that field. For example, Suarez, with the lamp of learning, represents Philosophy and Kircher, with lab instruments, represents Science. Directly above the door are five shields symbolizing academies founded by the Jesuits in Maryland. These read: 1634 St. Mary's City; 1640 Calverton Manor; 1677 Newtown Manor; 1745 Bohemia Manor; and 1789 Georgetown Heights.Repository: Booth Family Center for Special Collections. For more information about this collection please email: email@example.com
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Perrot, Emile G (1932)
Brosnan, Rev. John, S.J. (1932)Exterior view of entrance to building
Brosnan, Rev. John, S.J. (1933)Exterior of front of the buikding from slight right angle