Newly ordained Jesuits' first blessing in front of Dahlgren Chapel at Georgetown University
Dahlgren Chapel, the ninth building on Georgetown's campus, was dedicated in 1893. Elizabeth Drexel and John Vinton Dahlgren (A.B. 1889, LL.B. 1891) had originally proposed that a small mortuary chapel be build as a memorial to their infant son, Joseph Drexel Dahlgren, who died in 1891. However, Georgetown President J. Havens Richards, S.J., had a grander vision, suggesting a larger chapel capable of serving the whole university community which the Dahlgrens agreed to fund. In addition to being the first building at the University to be named after a non-Jesuit, the Chapel was the first to be funded exclusively by outside gifts.Repository: Booth Family Center for Special Collections. For more information about this collection please email: email@example.com
All Rights Reserved by Georgetown University Library.
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.