First year class of the Georgetown University Medical School, 1906
In 1849, there was only one medical school in Washington, the Medical Department of Columbian College, which controlled access to the city's lone hospital, as well as to membership in the newly established national regulatory agency, the American Medical Association. Seeking to break this monopoly, four local doctors, Noble Young, Flodoardo Howard, Charles H. Liebermann, and Johnson Eliot, petitioned Georgetown College President James Ryder, S.J., to begin a Medical Department under the auspices of the College. Within two weeks, Father Ryder appointed the four petitioners to professorships. Classes began in 1850 in a building on the corner of F and 12th Streets in northwest Washington and the first students graduated in 1852. The School moved to its present quarters on Reservoir Road in 1930.Repository: Booth Family Center for Special Collections. For more information about this collection please email: email@example.com
All Rights Reserved by Georgetown University Library.
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
The Making of a Physician: A Ten-Year Longitudinal Study of Social Class, Academic Achievement, and Changing Professional Attitudes of a Medical School Class Fredericks, Marcel A. and Mundy, Paul (1976)