Graduates of the Georgetown University School of Nursing on the steps of the University Hospital, 1917
Georgetown University Archives, Booth Family Center for Special Collections, Washington, D.C.
In 1903, the School of Nursing was established to provide support for the University Hospital which had opened in 1898. The hospital was managed by the Sisters of St. Francis but, as the facility expanded, the order was not able to supply enough sisters to staff it. The university, therefore, created a training school for nurses run by the order. Students were initially required to live at the hospital as the school did not have its own residence. Nursing education began as a three year diploma program. In 1944, a five year program was introduced with two academic and three clinical years. The five year program gave way to an integrated four year degree in 1951.Repository: Booth Family Center for Special Collections. For more information about this collection please email: email@example.com
For more information about copyright for materials within DigitalGeorgetown, please consult https://www.library.georgetown.edu/copyright/digitalgeorgetown.
8.75 in. x 6.5 in.
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.