Georgetown University Observatory
Georgetown University Observatory, one of the oldest in the U.S., was built between 1843 and 1844 and was used by astronomers to study and map the skies until the closing of the university's astronomy department in 1971. A number of Jesuits who made significant contributions to the field of astronomy worked at the observatory, including Angelo Secchi, Benedict Sestini, who came to Georgetown from Italy in the late 1840s, John G. Hagen, known for his work in stellar photometry, and Joseph Algue who became head of the observatory in 1888.Repository: Booth Family Center for Special Collections. For more information about this collection please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
All Rights Reserved by Georgetown University Library.
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.