Show simple item record

Files in this item

Georgetown University Observatory
dc.creatoren
dc.date.accessioned2012-02-02T20:26:49Zen
dc.date.available2012-02-02T20:26:49Zen
dc.date.created1888en
dc.date.issueden
dc.identifier.otherAPT-BAG: georgetown.edu.10822_552738.tar;APT-ETAG: f9da3dc2bd483f8462ff14d789988e46; APT-DATE: 2017-09-11_13:33:25en
dc.identifier.urien
dc.descriptionGeorgetown University Observatory, one of the oldest in the U.S., was built between 1843 and 1844 and was used by astronomers to study and map the skies until the closing of the university's astronomy department in 1971. A number of Jesuits who made significant contributions to the field of astronomy worked at the observatory, including Angelo Secchi, Benedict Sestini, who came to Georgetown from Italy in the late 1840s, John G. Hagen, known for his work in stellar photometry, and Joseph Algue who became head of the observatory in 1888.en
dc.descriptionRepository: Booth Family Center for Special Collections. For more information about this collection please email: speccoll@georgetown.eduen
dc.formatJPEGen
dc.formatblack-and-white photographsen
dc.format.extent9.25 in. x 7.25 in.en
dc.format.mediumphotorgaphic printen
dc.publisherGeorgetown Universityen
dc.rights.urihttp://rightsstatements.org/vocab/CNE/1.0/
dc.sourceC.M. Bell's Photographic Studioen
dc.subjectLearning environmenten
dc.subjectArchitectureen
dc.subjectCampus Viewsen
dc.subject.lcshGeorgetown College Observatory (Washington, D.C.)en
dc.subject.lcshAstronomical observatories--Washington (D.C.)en
dc.titleGeorgetown University Observatoryen
dc.typeimageen
dc.contributor.repositoryDigitalGeorgetown
dc.contributor.repositoryGeorgetown University Archives, Booth Family Center for Special Collections, Washington, D.C.
dc.rights.noteFor more information about copyright for materials within DigitalGeorgetown, please consult https://www.library.georgetown.edu/copyright/digitalgeorgetown.


This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record