Show simple item record

Files in this item

Seismological station at Maguire Hall, Georgetown University. Equipment shown (from front to back): Wiechert seismograph; Mainka seismograph; Bosch Omori seismographs
dc.creatoren
dc.date.accessioned2012-02-02T20:26:50Zen
dc.date.available2012-02-02T20:26:50Zen
dc.date.created1911en
dc.date.issueden
dc.identifier.otherAPT-BAG: georgetown.edu.10822_552744.tar;APT-ETAG: a571ba26f030a2f3ff29b1950910b6a9; APT-DATE: 2017-09-11_12:13:13en
dc.identifier.urien
dc.descriptionJesuits have contributed much to the field of seismology, which has even been termed the Jesuit Science. The founder and first director of Georgetown''s Seismological Observatory was Francis A. Tondorf, S.J., who came to Georgetown in 1908 as Assistant Director of the Astronomical Observatory and Professor of Physics and Higher Mathematics. In 1909, through the generosity of alumnus Patrick H. O'Donnell (A.B. 1892, A.M. 1893, LL.B. 1894), a seismology station was equipped in the South Tower of Healy Hall. It was, at the time, the most complete station of its kind in the country. The original installation consisted of a horizontal and vertical Wiechert seismograph, each of 80 kilograms pendulum mass, purchased from Spindler and Hoer in Gottingen, Germany. It was soon discovered that the sway of the South Tower made it an unsuitable location and the equipment was transferred to a room in the basement of Maguire Hall, equipped with double brick walls to insulate against temperature changes and moisture. Added to the two original seismographs were a Mainka seismograph, the first of its kind in the U.S., and a pair of Bosch photographically recording seismographs. Seismographic equipment remained in operation at Georgetown in various locations until around 1970.en
dc.descriptionRepository: Booth Family Center for Special Collections. For more information about this collection please email: speccoll@georgetown.eduen
dc.formatJPEGen
dc.formatblack-and-white photographsen
dc.format.extent9.5 in. x 7.5 in.en
dc.format.mediumphotographic printen
dc.publisherGeorgetown Universityen
dc.rights.urihttp://rightsstatements.org/vocab/CNE/1.0/
dc.subjectLearning environmenten
dc.subjectArchitectureen
dc.subject.lcshSeismology--Research--Washington (D.C.)en
dc.subject.lcshSeismometersen
dc.subject.lcshGeorgetown University. Maguire Hallen
dc.subject.lcshJesuit scientists--Washington (D.C.)en
dc.titleSeismological station at Maguire Hall, Georgetown University. Equipment shown (from front to back): Wiechert seismograph; Mainka seismograph; Bosch Omori seismographsen
dc.typeimageen
dc.contributor.repositoryDigitalGeorgetown
dc.contributor.repositoryGeorgetown University Archives, Booth Family Center for Special Collections, Washington, D.C.
dc.rights.noteFor more information about copyright for materials within DigitalGeorgetown, please consult https://www.library.georgetown.edu/copyright/digitalgeorgetown.


This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record