School of Foreign Service classroom in Healy Hall at Georgetown University
Georgetown University Archives, Booth Family Center for Special Collections, Washington, D.C.
Classes began in the School of Foreign Service in February 1919 with an initial enrollment of 62. The school had been the idea of Dr. Constantine McGuire, an assistant secretary of the Treasury Department's Internal High Commission. In 1918, seeing a shortage of professionals trained in foreign commerce and diplomacy, Dr. McGuire proposed to University President John B. Creeden, S.J., that a school be set up to provide such training. Father Creeden appointed Father Edmund A. Walsh, S.J., as the school's regent and charged him with its organization. Father Walsh guided the school until his death in 1956 and, in 1957, it was named in his honor. As enrollments grew, greater attention was given to specific areas of concentration within the school. Particular emphasis on foreign language development and international business lead to the creation of the School of Languages and Linguistics in 1949 and the School of Business Administration in 1957.Repository: Booth Family Center for Special Collections. For more information about this collection please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about copyright for materials within DigitalGeorgetown, please consult https://www.library.georgetown.edu/copyright/digitalgeorgetown.
19 in. x 11 in.
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.