Statue of Our Lady of Fatima on Copley lawn at Georgetown University
McHugh, Lawrence R.
The Class of 1950 presented Georgetown University with a statue of Our Lady of Fatima as their class gift. The Class felt that a statue of Our Lady should have a prominent place on campus to increase devotion and so that May devotions could be held in a suitable place. Made of carrara marble in Italy, the original statue was broken as it was loaded on board ship for its journey to the U.S. and a second statue had to be made. This arrived on campus in time to be blessed and dedicated at the 1950 commencement exercises. The statue is situated facing Copley Hall. The base of the statue is inscribed with the words: "Our Lady of Fatima, P A X, Class of 1950."Repository: Booth Family Center for Special Collections. For more information about this collection please email: email@example.com
All Rights Reserved by Georgetown University Library.
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Georgetown University (Georgetown University, 1949-05)
Georgetown University News Service - Jim Lawrence (1967-06-02)