Third Grammar Class, Second Section, on the steps of Healy Hall at Georgetown University
Dillon, Luke C.
Third Grammar was the second of the three classes in Georgetown's Preparatory Division. Younger students had been enrolled at Georgetown from its earliest days. The University's original admission requirements, as set down by John Carroll, allowed for children as young as eight years old to be enrolled, provided they knew how to read. In 1870, it was decided that no students younger than twelve could be accepted, twelve having been determined to be "an age at which one is capable of appreciating the advantages of college life." The admission age was raised to thirteen in 1894. The Prep Division became formally known as the Georgetown College Preparatory School in 1899 and planning began for the School to move to a new site. Land near Garrett Park, Montgomery County, Maryland was purchased for this purpose in 1915 and, in 1919, the Georgetown Preparatory School opened at the Garrett Park campus. Legal ties to Georgetown University were severed in 1927.Repository: Booth Family Center for Special Collections. For more information about this collection please email: email@example.com
All Rights Reserved by Georgetown University Library.
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Farquhar ? (1926-06)