Djemila Baptistery Outer Ambulatory, Mosaic Floor and Water Trench to Font
Cioffi, Paul L., 1928-2004
The Christian baptistery at Djemila (late 4th / early 5th C.) is a round structure designed with an outer ambulatory rimming its circumference and a circular inner ambulatory that envelops the central square, canopied font. The floor of the outer ambulatory is paved in a repeating geometric pattern of mosaic Greek crosses (all four arms are the same shape and are of equal length). A trench that carried water from its source into the baptistery cuts across the mosaic-covered floor.ca. June 1983
For more information about re-use and reproduction of this image, please refer to: http://www.georgetown.edu/copyright-information/
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.