Église Sainte-Madeleine, Bell Tower Saint Madeleine Church, Bell Tower
Cioffi, Paul L., 1928-2004
The Church of Sainte-Madeleine, formerly known as Sainte-Marie-du Châtel, was built in the 12th C. on the site of what had been in ancient Roman times a castrum, or fortified camp. Very likely, this was Tournus' first parish church. (An oratory shrine venerating the martyred Valerian and monastery churches pre-date the building of Sainte-Madeleine.) The church building was modified in the 15th C. and again in the 17th C. It is noteworthy for its square, Romanesque bell tower (this image) and beautifully sculpted capitals gracing its doorway, both dating to the 12th C.August 1981
For more information about re-use and reproduction of this image, please refer to: http://www.georgetown.edu/copyright-information/
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.