Grado Baptistery, Exterior
Cioffi, Paul L., 1928-2004
Grado is a small, ancient town situated between Venice and Trieste on a peninsula bordered by the Adriatic Sea. Because of Grado's proximity to Aquileia 3 (significant imperial Roman city), it became a haven for refugees fleeing Huns (5th C.) and Lombards (late 6th C.), and inherited some of its neighbor's importance. Very ancient church buildings survive in Grado: the two churches of Santa Maria delle Grazie and the Basilica of Sant' Eufemia, and the free-standing, octagonal baptistery, which dates from the late 5th C.
For more information about re-use and reproduction of this image, please refer to: http://www.georgetown.edu/copyright-information/