Saint Vitalis Baptismal Font, Basin Detail
Cioffi, Paul L., 1928-2004
Though little is known of Sbeïtla's history, archeological evidence of this North African settlement shows that a Byzantine military outpost was built on the site of an earlier Roman town. Not far from remnants of a Capitoline Temple and two early Christian ecclesial buildings (4th/5th C.) is the site of Saint Vitalis, a Byzantine church built in the 5th / early 6th C. Although the basilica is largely gone, the unusual labial-shaped baptismal font of Saint Vitalis and portions of its baptistery have survived. The font's mosaic decoration includes geometric patterns, a flowering vine and two large Greek crosses. Centered on the square floor of the font basin is a circle inscribing a Latin cross (which can also be read as a Greek chi) whose top arm curls into the Greek letter rho (the chi-rho--or, labarum--is a monogram for Christ); beneath the horizontal arms of the cross are the Greek letters alpha and omega (the first and last letters of the Greek alphabet which, following the Book of Revelation, refers to God as the beginning and end of all things; early Christian writers and artists applied the symbol to Christ). An inscription written in large, underlined letters on the ledge of the font is a reference to the votive offering of the one(s) who probably donated money for the baptistery.ca. June 1984
For more information about re-use and reproduction of this image, please refer to: http://www.georgetown.edu/copyright-information/
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.