San Giovanni Baptistery, ExteriorBaptistery of St. John the Baptist, Exterior
Cioffi, Paul L., 1928-2004
In Varese (Piedmont region of Lombardy, about 55 km northwest of Milan) the baptistery of San Giovanni stands adjacent to the Basilica of San Vittore. The baptistery was originally built with a polygonal floor plan in the 8th or 9th C., making it the oldest construction extant in Varese. However, this history was only uncovered in the course of a restoration project in 1948. A number of reconstructions between the 11th C. / 13th C. and 1880 built over the ancient walls, resulting in the present rectangular building with a groined vault, presbytery and gallery.ca. July 1991
For more information about re-use and reproduction of this image, please refer to: http://www.georgetown.edu/copyright-information/
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.