Sankt Andreas Kirche View from Nave toward ApseSaint Andrew Church
Cioffi, Paul L., 1928-2004
Within the medieval city wall of Cologne stand twelve Romanesque churches. Despite the devastation suffered during World War II, all of the churches have been restored. They are Gross Sankt Martin, Sankt Andreas, Sankt Aposteln, Sankt Cäcilien, Sankt Georg, Sankt Gereon, Sankt Kunibert, Sankt Maria im Kapitol, Sankt Maria Lyskirchen, Sankt Pantaleon, Sankt Severin and Sank Ursula.The first church of Sankt Andreas, built on the site of an 8th C. church dedicated to St. Matthew, was consecrated in 974 by Bishop Gero as a collegiate church. The present late Romanesque building was begun ca. 1200. Since 1803, it has been a parish church; and, since World War II, it has belonged to the Dominicans (Order of Preachers).
For more information about re-use and reproduction of this image, please refer to: http://www.georgetown.edu/copyright-information/
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.