Sankt Georg Kirche View from Baptismal Font across Nave toward Apse Church of St. George
Cioffi, Paul L., 1928-2004
Within the medieval city wall of Cologne stand twelve Romanesque churches. Despite the devastation suffered during World War II, all of the churches have been restored. They are Gross Sankt Martin, Sankt Andreas, Sankt Aposteln, Sankt Cäcilien, Sankt Georg, Sankt Gereon, Sankt Kunibert, Sankt Maria im Kapitol, Sankt Maria Lyskirchen, Sankt Pantaleon, Sankt Severin and Sankt Ursula. Sankt Georg was founded in 1059. In the choir arch hangs the St. Georg crucifix, which dates from 1070. As to the structure of the church, it is the only Romanesque pillared basilica extant in the Rhineland. In medieval times, Sankt Georg was a stop on the pilgrimage to Santiago.
For more information about re-use and reproduction of this image, please refer to: http://www.georgetown.edu/copyright-information/
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.