Sankt Pantaleon Kirche View from Nave toward Westwork Church of St. Pantaleon
Cioffi, Paul L., 1928-2004
Within the medieval city wall of Cologne stand twelve Romanesque churches. Despite the devastation suffered during World War II, all of the churches have been restored. They are Gross Sankt Martin, Sankt Andreas, Sankt Aposteln, Sankt Cäcilien, Sankt Georg, Sankt Gereon, Sankt Kunibert, Sankt Maria im Kapitol, Sankt Maria Lyskirchen, Sankt Pantaleon, Sankt Severin and Sankt Ursula. Sankt Pantaleon’s exterior is completely Romanesque, with a large westwork, two round west towers, round-arched windows and decorative red bands, in the Lombard style. Inside, the church also retains its Romanesque structure: flat-roofed nave, westwork with two chapels, two square transepts, eastern apse and crypt (10th C.)l side aisles (12th C.). The north chapel in the westwork contains the tomb of the Empress Theophanu (d. ca. 991), constructed of Greek marble. It was she who sponsored the enlargement of the church and asked to be buried there. Sankt Pantaleon also has a magnificent high Gothic choir screen (not shown in this image).
For more information about re-use and reproduction of this image, please refer to: http://www.georgetown.edu/copyright-information/
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.