Sankt Ursula Kirche Interior Southwest Nave Looking Toward Organ Loft Church of St. Ursula
Cioffi, Paul L., 1928-2004
Within the medieval city wall of Cologne stand twelve Romanesque churches. Despite the devastation suffered during World War II, all of the churches have been restored. They are Gross Sankt Martin, Sankt Andreas, Sankt Aposteln, Sankt Cäcilien, Sankt Georg, Sankt Gereon, Sankt Kunibert, Sankt Maria im Kapitol, Sankt Maria Lyskirchen, Sankt Pantaleon, Sankt Severin and Sankt Ursula. The present Church of Sankt Ursula dates from 1135, when it was erected on the site of a Roman cemetery where, in 1106, workers discovered remains thought to be the relics of all 11,000 of St. Ursula’s virgin companions. Its Gothic choir, echoing that of Sainte-Chapelle in Paris, was added later. The legend of St. Ursula and her companions has inspired art and devotion since the 4th / 5th C.
For more information about re-use and reproduction of this image, please refer to: http://www.georgetown.edu/copyright-information/
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.