Santa Maria Assunta facade Mary of the Assumption facade
Cioffi, Paul L., 1928-2004
Santa Maria Assunta, Volterra's duomo (cathedral), was constructed on the site of an earlier church dedicated to Mary and consecrated by Callistus II in 1120. It was enlarged in 1254 by Andrea Pisano, and enlarged again in 1576. Geometric marble intarsia in the tympanum above the main entrance was part of the 13th C. renovation of the Romanesque church. Vasari attributed the marble work to Nicola Pisano (Italian sculptor and architect, active 1258-1278). This later, decorative work is blended with older, structural elements of the façade's design. For example, the round windows, or oculi, are typical of the Romanesque style and are antecedents to Gothic rose windows. ca. December 1986
For more information about re-use and reproduction of this image, please refer to: http://www.georgetown.edu/copyright-information/
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.