Sint-Kwintenskerk Exterior Choir St. Quentin
Cioffi, Paul L., 1928-2004
All that remains of Saint Quentin’s Romanesque church are its foundations and the lower portion of its tower, which dates to about 1200. The church, as it now stands, was built by Mathieu de Layens, then city architect for Louvain, following the Brabant style of high Gothic. Saint Quentin’s choir was completed in 1453; its nave in 1535. However, the slender spire (flèche), characteristic of many churches built in the Brabant Gothic style, was not added until 1900 under the direction city architect Pieter Langerock. The stained glass windows were restored late in the 20th C. Saint Quentin’s has functioned as a parish church since 1252; prior to that, it was a chapel.
For more information about copyright for materials within DigitalGeorgetown, please consult https://www.library.georgetown.edu/copyright/digitalgeorgetown.