Sint-Michielskerk Facade St. Michael's Church
Cioffi, Paul L., 1928-2004
Flemish Jesuit priest, poet and architect Willem Hesius designed St. Michael’s Church as a magnificent expression of Catholic Reformation theology and mysticism. The building was constructed between 1650 and 1670. Although only the facade escaped serious damage in 1944 (World War II), the remainder of the church has been entirely restored. Perhaps appropriate to the Jesuit vision of divinity breaking into the world, inhabiting it and raising earthly existence to divine life (within the Church), the Baroque facade has been described as “the altar on the outside of the church”.
For more information about re-use and reproduction of this image, please refer to: http://www.georgetown.edu/copyright-information/
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.