SS. Peter and Paul Cathedral Exterior, One of Three Double-door Portals on the Facade
Cioffi, Paul L., 1928-2004
The Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul, Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A., was designed and built by architect William Whetton Renwick of New York in 1906-07. However, its facade was never completed until 1936 when Bishop Joseph E. Ritter engaged Indianapolis architect August C. Bohlen to finish the church's exterior. At that time, some of its interior elements were renovated. But by the late 1970s the building was deteriorating. Bishop George J. Biskup decided to act; his successor, Bishop Edward T. O'Meara (1980-1992) carried out the renovations. Minnesota architect Edward A. Sövik supervised modifications, redesigning the aging cathedral into a worship space that reflects the Second Vatican Council's liturgical theology and subsequent ritual reforms. Saints Peter and Paul Cathedral was rededicated May 14, 1986. The double door pictured here is one of the three entrances into the Cathedral from the front steps. Its design is simple with a circle-in square pattern repeated three times on each door. Above the door is a transom that is latticed with vertical, horizontal and diagonal ribbing. The doors are framed in stone. ca. November 1989
For more information about re-use and reproduction of this image, please refer to: http://www.georgetown.edu/copyright-information/
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.