SS. Peter and Paul Cathedral Interior Decorated for Christmas, Nave looking toward Sanctuary and Apse
Cioffi, Paul L., 1928-2004
The Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul, Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A., was designed and built by architect William Whetton Renwick of New York in 1906-07. Its facade was completed in 1936; at the same time, some of its interior elements were renovated. But by the late 1970s the building was deteriorating. Bishop George J. Biskup decided to act; his successor, Bishop Edward T. O'Meara (1980-1992) carried out the renovations. Minnesota architect Edward A. Sövik supervised modifications, redesigning the aging cathedral into a worship space that reflects the Second Vatican Council's liturgical theology and subsequent ritual reforms. Changes included: the imported marble crucifixion group from the early 20th c. main altar decoration was retained but moved to form the background for liturgical action. Fixed pews were replaced with moveable seating. An elevator was installed to provide handicap access. Saints Peter and Paul Cathedral was rededicated May 14, 1986. This image shows the Cathedral decorated for the Christmas season using the traditional crêche and potted poinsettias. ca. November 1989
For more information about re-use and reproduction of this image, please refer to: http://www.georgetown.edu/copyright-information/
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.