SS. Peter and Paul Cathedral Interior, Nave Looking toward Apse; Arranged for a Concert Performance
Cioffi, Paul L., 1928-2004
The Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul, Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A., was designed and built by architect William Whetton Renwick of New York in 1906-07. Its facade was completed in 1936; at the same time, some of its interior elements were renovated. But by the late 1970s the building was deteriorating. Bishop George J. Biskup decided to act; his successor, Bishop Edward T. O'Meara (1980-1992) carried out the renovations. Minnesota architect Edward A. Sövik supervised modifications, redesigning the aging cathedral into a worship space that reflects the Second Vatican Council's liturgical theology and subsequent ritual reforms. This image of a concert performance in the Cathedral also demonstrates the flexibility of the renovated space. The sanctuary furniture has been temporarily removed to accommodate the orchestra and chorus. Saints Peter and Paul Cathedral was rededicated May 14, 1986. ca. November 1989
For more information about copyright for materials within DigitalGeorgetown, please consult https://www.library.georgetown.edu/copyright/digitalgeorgetown.
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.