SS. Peter and Paul Cathedral Interior, Sanctuary and Apse
Cioffi, Paul L., 1928-2004
The Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul, Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A., was designed and built by architect William Whetton Renwick of New York in 1906-07. Its facade was completed in 1936; at the same time, some of its interior elements were renovated. But by the late 1970s the building was deteriorating. Bishop George J. Biskup decided to act; his successor, Bishop Edward T. O'Meara (1980-1992) carried out the renovations. Minnesota architect Edward A. Sövik supervised modifications, redesigning the aging cathedral into a worship space that reflects the Second Vatican Council's liturgical theology and subsequent ritual reforms. Saints Peter and Paul Cathedral was rededicated May 14, 1986. Elements of the early and mid-20th decorations were retained but reimagined to form the background for current liturgical action. This image shows how Sövik integrated elements of all three building/renovating initiatives in the apse, the focal point of the space and ritual liturgical action. (Marble reredos, 1905-07; glass mosaic in apse dome, 1936; altar, ambo, chairs, candles, 1980-86.) ca. November 1989
For more information about re-use and reproduction of this image, please refer to: http://www.georgetown.edu/copyright-information/
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.