SS. Peter and Paul Cathedral, Apse Mosaic
Cioffi, Paul L., 1928-2004
The Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul was built in 1905-07. Its facade was completed in 1936; at the same time, some of its interior elements were renovated. But by the late 1970s the building was deteriorating. Bishop George J. Biskup decided to act; his successor, Bishop Edward T. O'Meara (1980-1992) carried out the renovations. Minnesota architect Edward A. Sövik supervised modifications, redesigning the aging cathedral into a worship space that reflects the Second Vatican Council's liturgical theology and subsequent ritual reforms. Saints Peter and Paul Cathedral was rededicated May 14, 1986. The 1906 version of the apse dome decoration was a Byzantine-style mural painting by Edgar S. Cameron of Chicago. During the 1936 renovation the mural was replaced with the glass mosaic shown in this picture. Leif Neandross (of the Harold W. Rambusch firm, New York) designed the mosaic image of Christ enthroned flanked by the church's patrons, Saints Peter and Paul. ca. November 1989
For more information about re-use and reproduction of this image, please refer to: http://www.georgetown.edu/copyright-information/
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.