SS. Peter and Paul Cathedral, Crucifixion Group Reredos
Cioffi, Paul L., 1928-2004
The Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul was built in 1905-07. Its facade was completed in 1936; at the same time, some elements of its interior were renovated. But by the late 1970s the building was deteriorating. Bishop George J. Biskup decided to act; his successor, Bishop Edward T. O'Meara (1980-1992) carried out the renovations. Minnesota architect Edward A. Sövik supervised modifications, redesigning the aging cathedral into a worship space that reflects the Second Vatican Council's liturgical theology and subsequent ritual reforms. Saints Peter and Paul Cathedral was rededicated May 14, 1986. The Crucifixion group shown in this image (Jesus crucified with his mother, Mary standing on his right and his disciple and friend John standing on his left) is made of Carrara marble. It was one of the works of art imported from Europe to decorate the Cathedral when it was first built in the early years of the 20th C. In the renovations of the late 20th C. this altarpiece, or reredos (screen behind the altar), was retained but disengaged from the altar and relocated, forming the visual backdrop for the sanctuary and the activity that takes place there. ca. November 1989
For more information about re-use and reproduction of this image, please refer to: http://www.georgetown.edu/copyright-information/
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.