SS. Peter and Paul Cathedral, in Sanctuary Space
Cioffi, Paul L., 1928-2004
The Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul, Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A., was designed and built by architect William Whetton Renwick of New York in 1906-07. Its unfinished facade was completed in 1936; at the same time some interior renovations were made. But by the late 1970s the building was deteriorating. Bishop George J. Biskup decided to act; his successor, Bishop Edward T. O'Meara (1980-1992) carried out the renovations. Minnesota architect Edward A. Sövik supervised modifications, redesigning the aging cathedral into a worship space that reflects the Second Vatican Council's liturgical theology and subsequent ritual reforms. Saints Peter and Paul Cathedral was rededicated May 14, 1986. The sanctuary floor candles with their heavy, ornate bases respect the scale of the large cathedral space, incorporate elements of the older decor into the newly renovated space. In Christian symbolism, lighted candles symbolize the presence of Christ; therefore, lighted candles are used in the sanctuary (or chancel) during the liturgical celebration to underscore Christ's presence in the Scriptures proclaimed and the Eucharist blessed and shared. ca. November 1989
For more information about re-use and reproduction of this image, please refer to: http://www.georgetown.edu/copyright-information/
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.