Timgad Orthodox Christian Baptistery Site
Cioffi, Paul L., 1928-2004
In 100 C.E. the Roman Emperor Trajan founded Timgad (Thamugadi) in the Aures Mountains of North Africa (near present-day Batna, Algeria) as a military colony for retired personnel. After suffering invasions by the Vandals and Berbers, the city was not rebuilt after the 7th C.; it was excavated in 1881. The Roman city center, where Christian church buildings were eventually erected, was neatly laid out in a grid pattern and built of stone and masonry in the Corinthian style. Timgad's orthodox Christian heritage dates from the 3rd C.; and, from the 4th C., the city was also a center for Donatists. Baptismal fonts used by both orthodox Christians and Donatists have been uncovered. The orthodox Christian Church was situated near the city library and the house of Januarius. Its baptistery was incorporated into the church building. The circular stone font with four pillars set in a square around the font's rim are visible across the remnants of the church's west wall. ca. June 1983
For more information about re-use and reproduction of this image, please refer to: http://www.georgetown.edu/copyright-information/
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.