Battistero di San Giovanni, Exterior Detail Baptistery of St. John the Baptist, Exterior Detail
Cioffi, Paul L., 1928-2004
In antiquity, Volterra was a major center for Etruscans. It lies about 50 km southwest of Florence, in Tuscany. Volterra's baptistery is a two story building constructed on an octagonal plan; it has a high domed roof. Since it was first erected during the 13th C., it has undergone a number of alterations. This image highlights a prominent horizontal mark in the masonry, possibly indicating where the second story was added. ca. December 1986
For more information about re-use and reproduction of this image, please refer to: http://www.georgetown.edu/copyright-information/
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.