Bulla Regia Baptismal Font
Cioffi, Paul L., 1928-2004
Among the archaeological remains of Bulla Regia near the present-day city of Jendouba, are remnants of a Byzantine church (perhaps 5th/6th C.) that incorporated its baptistery in the narthex of the church. This is arrangement is a departure from most North African churches, which typically constructed separate baptisteries nearby.The Bulla Regia font is cruciform in shape, but modified in that the arms have been sealed off. This may have been to conserve water or simply to allow the minister of the sacrament to perform duties while staying dry. All four arms have steps that descend to the depth of the basin, which is nearly 2 meters from basin bottom to the top of the stone dividing the center from the cross-arms.Columns flanking the font would have supported a canopy, or ciborium.ca. July 1991
For more information about re-use and reproduction of this image, please refer to: http://www.georgetown.edu/copyright-information/
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.