Cathédrale St-Lazare, Crossing Tower Belfry Autun Cathedral
Cioffi, Paul L., 1928-2004
Constructed between 1120 and the end of the 12th C., the architecture of St-Lazare was inspired by Cluniac churches, particularly Paray-le-Monial, though with a simpler Latin cross plan. Typical of Cluniac churches, St-Lazare was built with a massive bell tower at the crossing of nave and transept. When a thunderbolt struck the Romanesque tower ca. 1469, Cardinal Jean Rolin, then bishop of Autun, soon replaced it with the present Flamboyant Gothic one. ca. August 1981
For more information about re-use and reproduction of this image, please refer to: http://www.georgetown.edu/copyright-information/
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.