Djemila Baptistery Font with Ciborium and Floor Mosaic
Cioffi, Paul L., 1928-2004
Central to the round Christian baptistery at Djemila (late 4th / early 5th C.) is a square, canopied font. The font is enveloped by a richly decorated inner ambulatory which, in turn, is surrounded by an outer ambulatory. The building was designed to accommodate a single ritual, that of Christian Initiation (Baptism). The rectangular, 2-step font is covered with a stone canopy hewn from a single rock that is supported by four Corinthian columns that have fluted shafts and capitals carved with acanthus leaves. This sheltering structure is called a ciborium. The bishop, the minister of Baptism, would have been seated behind the font. The arched doorway visible through the ciborium communicates with the outer ambulatory, paved in a repeating geometric pattern of Greek crosses. The inner ambulatory is paved with a mosaic teeming with sea creatures whose focus is a large chalice. This image captures the relationship of that portion of the mosaic to the baptismal font. ca. June 1983
For more information about copyright for materials within DigitalGeorgetown, please consult https://www.library.georgetown.edu/copyright/digitalgeorgetown.