Djemila Baptistery Outer Ambulatory with Mosaic Floor Pavement
Cioffi, Paul L., 1928-2004
The Christian baptistery at Djemila (late 4th / early 5th C.) is a round structure designed with an outer ambulatory rimming its circumference and a circular inner ambulatory that envelops the central square, canopied font. Thirty-six arched niches line the walls of the outer, barrel-vaulted ambulatory. These provided seats and vestry for the neophytes. The brick and mortar walls were sheathed in stucco, and the floor paved in a repeating geometric pattern of mosaic crosses. ca. June 1983
For more information about re-use and reproduction of this image, please refer to: http://www.georgetown.edu/copyright-information/
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.