Model for a new library at Georgetown University by John Carl Warnecke and Associates
Georgetown College (1789-1815)
The architect for the new library, John Carl Warnecke, wanted to tailor the library building to the functional requirements of a great university library and felt that it should 'express the philosophy of the University in the finest contemporary terms.' He noted in a February 1966 concept paper that the most important exterior aspect of the library is its relationship to older buildings on campus - the adjacent Healy Hall in 'Flemish Romanesque' style and Copley and White-Gravenor in 'Collegiate Gothic.' The common denominator in these buildings was 'the undulating exterior wall surface and the profusion of vertical elements' and Warnecke wanted to recognize these aspects in the design of the library with 'an irregular outline and a pronounced vertical emphasis.' Architectural concrete was to be Warnecke's basic exterior material. In May 1966, he wrote: 'The material of the new library will incorporate dark gray granite aggregate similar in color to Healy Hall and similar in color intensity to the foliage of the trees on the hillside below. It will blend quietly into the existing landscape of buildings and trees, balancing the older structures that extend immediately to the west of Healy Hall.'
All Rights Reserved by Georgetown University Library.