Healy Hall at Georgetown University, as viewed from the east side
Work began on Healy Hall in late 1877. It was to have space for laboratories and a new library, as well as classrooms, dormitory rooms, and a meeting area for alumni. The firm of J.L. Smithmeyer & Company, who also designed the main building of the Library of Congress, drew up the plans. Their product, massive in scale, is 312 feet long and 95 feet wide with a clock tower that rises 200 feet. With Healy Hall’s opening, the University doubled the total square footage of its buildings. Healy was the first of our buildings to face the city rather than the river and it has been suggested that Patrick F. Healy, S.J., who planned the building, deliberately oriented it as a signal that Georgetown should be viewed, from that point on, as an educational institution of national importance.
All Rights Reserved by Georgetown University Library.
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.