Riggs Library in Georgetown University's Healy Hall
Georgetown University News Service - Bob Young, Jr.
When Riggs Library opened in 1891, seniors (allowed in on Wednesdays and Saturdays only) could not check out books or even enter the alcoves to browse. Graduate students, who were at least allowed every day, were subject to the same restrictions. And freshmen, sophomores, and juniors were barred from the Library entirely and had to request books through their professors. The restrictions were gradually eased and, beginning in the late 1930s, students “in good standing” could browse the stacks from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. – if they asked permission.
All Rights Reserved by Georgetown University Library.
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Georgetown University (Georgetown University, 1971)
Georgetown College Journal (1918-01)
The Most Rev. Philip M. Hannan, Auxiliary Bishop of Washington, assisted by University President Edward B. Bunn, S.J., blesses the carillon console in Healy Hall at Georgetown University Georgetown University Office of Public Relations (1956-10)