Dedication Tablet for Riggs Library in Georgetown University's Healy Hall
Georgetown University News Service - Bob Young, Jr.
Georgetown College (1789-1815)
Riggs Library was a memorial to E. Francis Riggs’ s father, George W. Riggs, whose love of books was well-known, and to his brother, T. Lawrason Riggs, who had attended Georgetown from 1874 to 1876. The marble dedication tablet located near the door to the Library has been translated from Latin into English as: 'When Elisha Francis Riggs had finished this library at his own expense, he chose it to bear the name of his father, George W., and of his brother, Thomas L., and to serve as a perpetual token that he holds them in affectionate remembrance. The President and Directors of Georgetown College, in grateful accord with the loving thought, have erected this tablet in the year of our Lord eighteen hundred and ninety-one.'
All Rights Reserved by Georgetown University Library.