Dahlgren Chapel at Georgetown University
Province of New England, Society of Jesus
Georgetown College (1789-1815)
Dahlgren Chapel, the ninth building on campus, was dedicated in 1893. Elizabeth Drexel and John Vinton Dahlgren (A.B. 1889, LL.B. 1891) had originally proposed that a small mortuary chapel be build as a memorial to their infant son, Joseph Drexel Dahlgren, who died in 1891. However, Georgetown President J. Havens Richards, S.J., had a grander vision, suggesting a larger chapel capable of serving the whole university community which the Dahlgrens agreed to fund. The Chapel was the first building on campus named after a non-Jesuit and also the first to be funded exclusively by outside gifts.
All Rights Reserved by Georgetown University Library.
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.