McDonough Gymnasium at Georgetown University
By the late 1940's, there was a pressing need on campus for a new gymnasium to replace the outdated facilities in Ryan Gym. The original plans placed the new gym next to the old but that concept was eventually dropped because of noise, parking, and access issues and an alternative site, south of the Observatory, was selected. The McDonough Memorial Gym was entirely funded by subscriptions from alumni and friends and the dedication ceremonies in December 1951 attracted over 1,000 alumni, the largest gathering of alumni at Georgetown to that point. It is named for Vincent S. McDonough, S.J., Director of Athletics from 1916 to 1928.
All Rights Reserved by Georgetown University Library.
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.