E. Francis Riggs
Fowler Studio, 1107 F Street, N.W., Washington D.C.
The exterior of Georgetown University's Healy Hall was completed in 1879. The third and fourth floors in its south pavilion were selected for a new library by then University President Patrick F. Healy, S.J., for whom the building is named. However, a lack of money prevented the library from being completed. Alumni who returned for Georgetown's centennial in 1889 used the space as a temporary dormitory. During the centennial celebration, it was announced that Washington banker Elisha Francis Riggs (1851-1910) would donate $10,000 to establish the library. Mr. Riggs took a continuing interest in the construction work and paid all associated costs, even though the final bill exceeded estimates by at least 20 percent.
All Rights Reserved by Georgetown University Library.
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Chase, William Merritt; 1849 IN - 1916 NYC (1890)Chase, William Merritt; 1849 - 1916 (Sitter)
Chase, William Merritt; 1849 IN - 1916 NYC (1881)
Chase, William Merritt; 1849 IN - 1916 NYC (1857)