Leon Dostert, Director of Georgetown University's Institute of Languages and Linguistics
Georgetown University Archives, Booth Family Center for Special Collections, Washington, D.C.
Georgetown College (1789-1815)
Georgetown University Office of Public Relations
In 1949, Leon Dostert, in collaboration with Fr. Edmund Walsh, S.J., Regent of Georgetown's School of Foreign Service, established the Institute of Languages and Linguistics. Dostert would serve as Director of the Institute from 1949 until 1959. During this time, he was also Professor of French Civilization and Chair of the Department of Foreign Languages in the School of Foreign Service. Professor Dostert's interest in machine translation led to a joint venture between Georgetown and IBM to produce the first mechanical transfer from one language to another in January, 1954, and the development of the Machine Translation Research Project in 1955.
For more information about copyright for materials within DigitalGeorgetown, please consult https://www.library.georgetown.edu/copyright/digitalgeorgetown.
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.