HPA No. 89-197 (In re. The Church's Adjacent Building)
- HPA Number: 89-197
- Building Name: The Church's Adjacent Building
- Case Name: Application to raze the rear two story addition
- Location: 504 Eye Street, N.W., Square 485, Lot 47
- Date of Order: 4/27/1989
- Type: Partial demolition
- Disposition: Granted
- Date of Case Summary: 10/2/2006
A church (the “Applicant”) sought a permit to tear down the two-story rear portion of its building at 504 Eye Street, N.W., and build an addition to join the 504 Eye Street building with its house of worship, an adjacent building at 500 Eye Street, N.W. (all located within an historic district, although the specific district is not identified in the decision), and to provide the church with offices, meeting rooms, and a bigger clothing distribution area. The Mayor’s Agent determined that Applicant’s proposed plan was consistent with the purposes of the Act because the property would be restored and enhanced and thus would contribute to the character of the historic district, because added features would encourage the church’s adaptation for current use, and because the plan would encourage significant preservation and restoration work and would allow Applicant to continue to provide important community services.
Necessary in the Public Interest:
The Mayor’s Agent found that the proposed partial demolition was necessary in the public interest because it advanced the purposes of the Act.
Consistent with the Purposes of the Act:
Applicant proposed to preserve and renovate the three-story front part of its building (the only portion visible from the street), raze the two-story rear addition, and construct a new addition that would adjoin the building with Applicant’s adjacent house of worship and provide offices, meeting rooms, and a bigger clothing distribution area. The Mayor’s Agent found that most of the property’s significant historic features were located in the front three-story portion of the building, and that the only significant historic feature in the rear, a mantelpiece, would be saved and moved to the front part of the property. Additionally, the Mayor’s Agent also found that the proposed demolition and construction would “enhance and safeguard the property and character of the historic district.” The Mayor’s Agent concluded that Applicant’s plan was consistent with the purposes of the Act because the property would be restored and enhanced and would thus contribute to the character of the historic district and the neighboring structures. Furthermore, the Mayor’s Agent concluded that the installation of an elevator, an additional entranceway, and new windows would encourage the church’s adaptation for current use without making the property incompatible with the character of this historic district. Finally, the plan was consistent with the Act because it would result in the restoration of significant historic features, would encourage significant preservation work, and would allow the Applicant to expand and continue to provide important community services (serving the growing homeless population in the area).
The Mayor’s Agent noted that the addition of an elevator, another entranceway, and new windows would encourage the property’s adaptation for current use without causing it to be incompatible with the character of the historic district.
The Mayor’s Agent found that the façades of the property were significant because they contributed to the character of the historic district. The façade would be preserved and restored as part of its project.
Files in this item
- Decision summary.html
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Anonymous (No Date)
Anonymous (No Date)Offa (King of England); 757 - 796 (Sitter)
Hay, Louis (John Augustus Louis Hay); 1881 - 1948 (1933)