HPA No. 2004-092, S-08257 (In re. Tivoli Theater)
- HPA Number: 2004-092, S-08257
- Name: In the Matter of Tivoli Theater
- Location: 3301-3325 14th Street N.W.
- Date of Order: 7/6/2004
- Type of Permit: Subdivision
- Disposition: Granted
Applicant, Tivoli Partners, sought a permit to consolidate subdivided lots constituting part of the landmark Tivoli Theater in order to permit development of the commercial portion of the already approved Tivoli Square redevelopment. The proposed subdivision would eliminate the need for access easements across lot lines for utilities and city services. The subdivision also would allow the development to more appropriately comply with building code requirements related to exits and safety. The Mayor's Agent found the subdivision consistent with the purposes of the Act because it would facilitate the construction project that would retain the landmark Tivoli Theater, restore its exterior, and adapt the interior of the theater for current use.
Mayor's Agent Procedural:
The proposed subdivision would create a larger lot than the one on which the Tivoli Theater historically stood. Because of the new larger lot, the jurisdiction of the Act would be extended to a larger area and future alterations, demolitions, and new construction on the new larger lot would be reviewed for compatibility with the Tivoli Theater.
Consistent with the Act/ Necessary in the Public Interest:
- The proposed subdivision was consistent with the purposes of the Act and thus necessary in the public interest because the proposed subdivision would "enhance the Tivoli Theater by facilitating the construction of an approved project that calls for the retention of the Tivoli Theater, the restoration of the exterior of the Tivoli Theater, and the adaptation of the interior of the Tivoli Theater for current use."
- The subdivision was also consistent with the purposes of the Act because it would "result in enhanced protection for the Tivoli Theater by expanding the jurisdiction of the Act."
See HPA No. 88-258 orders of May 14, 1992 and July 28, 1995 for prior history concerning this property.
Files in this item
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Frederick Douglass Community Improvement Council/Concerned Citizens of Anacostia v. District of Columbia Office of Planning., Historic Preservation Office District of Columbia. Court of Appeals (2015)
Government of the District of Columbia. Office of Planning. Historic Preservation Office. (2013)